The United States paused a $14 billion arms package for Taiwan due to military constraints related to the Iran war, US Navy Acting Secretary Hung Cao said during a congressional hearing on Friday.
"We're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury," said Cao, "which we have plenty."
"We're just making sure we have everything," added Cao. "Then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary."
Western media outlets reached out to the US State Department and Pentagon for comment, but neither responded.
Taiwan, which China views as its own territory, has been waiting for the US to approve the new arms sale package, which US President Donald Trump said he was undecided on whether to approve following a summit with China's Xi Jinping in Beijing last week.
Speaking to reporters in Taipei, Taiwan, Presidential Office spokesperson Karen Kuo said they had noted the remarks.
"However, at present, we have not received any relevant information about the US adjusting these military sales," she said.
Taiwan: Acting to ensure sale proceeds
Taiwan's defense ministry said it had also not received any notification of delays in arms sales.
The ministry continues to "monitor US security cooperation policy" and maintain close coordination and communication with the US to ensure that arms sales proceed according to plan, it said in a statement.
The US is bound by law to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself. China has repeatedly called for the US to stop arms sales.
Taiwan's government rejects Beijing's sovereignty claims, saying only the Taiwanese people can decide their future.